Runyon & Runyon
  • "This little note is to say thanks for all you have done for me. You worked so hard to prove that we told the truth. However it turns out, I know you did your best."
  • "Thank you and the Runyon team for everything that you all have done for my son. I truly appreciate it."
  • "Thank you Mrs. Browning for all of your help, and if you could pass my thanks on to Ray. Your team helped more than you know. If you ever need to reach me for anything further ill be here.Thank you again."
  • " I can’t put into words how grateful I am for all you have done for me. Thank you for listening and understanding what I was going through...”
  • " Thank you for taking care of everything for me in a professional manner. The staff is awesome also!”
  • " I wanted to thank you for your support. You are the best attorney in Clarksville. I could not have done it without you”
  • " Should I need legal service again you will be my only one to call. Thank you so much”
  • " Ray took time out of his busy schedule to fit us in at a time of crisis on several occasions”
Read More
Contact Us For An Appointment
toll free 800-568-1534
local 931-305-0061

Collecting unpaid child support from a tax refund

With the arrival of tax season comes the anticipation amongst many in Clarksville that extra money is coming their way in the form of refund. If you are like many of the clients that we here at Runyon and Runyon have worked with who are owed child support, your hope may be that your ex-spouse will use any refund he or she receives to repay his or her child support arrears. You may be pleased to learn that you can actually petition to have his or her return held in order to meet his or her obligation.

The government allows for tax refunds to be held through the Federal Tax Refund Offset Program. Rather than being sent directly to your ex-spouse, his or her refund is sent to the Office of Child Support Enforcement, then sent on to your state’s child support agency, after which the funds will be sent to you. In order for your case to qualify for this program, it must meet certain criteria. These criteria (as shared by the Legal Information Institute of the Cornell University Law School), include:

  •          Your having an active child support obligation issued by a judge in your state.
  •          Your ex-spouse owing more than $150 in child support (if you are on any form of state assistance).
  •          Your ex-spouse owing more than $500 in child support (if you are not receiving state assistance).

Typically, the entire amount that your ex-spouse owes will be withheld. The only exception is if he or she is remarried and files jointly with his or her new spouse. In that case, his or her new spouse can petition to recover his or her portion of the return.

More information on collecting unpaid child support can be found here on our site. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

We Have Answers

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy