Runyon & Runyon
  • "This little note is to say thanks for all you have done for me. You worked so hard to prove that we told the truth. However it turns out, I know you did your best."
  • "Thank you and the Runyon team for everything that you all have done for my son. I truly appreciate it."
  • "Thank you Mrs. Browning for all of your help, and if you could pass my thanks on to Ray. Your team helped more than you know. If you ever need to reach me for anything further ill be here.Thank you again."
  • " I can’t put into words how grateful I am for all you have done for me. Thank you for listening and understanding what I was going through...”
  • " Thank you for taking care of everything for me in a professional manner. The staff is awesome also!”
  • " I wanted to thank you for your support. You are the best attorney in Clarksville. I could not have done it without you”
  • " Should I need legal service again you will be my only one to call. Thank you so much”
  • " Ray took time out of his busy schedule to fit us in at a time of crisis on several occasions”
Read More
Contact Us For An Appointment
toll free 800-568-1534
local 931-305-0061

Understanding rehabilitative alimony

Like most in Clarksville, you may assume that the awarding of alimony is a fairly cut-and-dry process: you earn the right to receive it from your ex-spouse until you remarry or either of you dies. Many often come to us here at Runyon and Runyon with the same assumption, only to later find out that is not always the case. There are actually different types of spousal support, one of the more common being rehabilitative alimony.

You may sacrifice your own career ambitions to support those of your spouse. If you later divorce, that sacrifice could leave you economically disadvantaged compared to him or her. According to Tennessee state law, in such a case you may be entitled to rehabilitative alimony. The expectation is that you will eventually become economically self-sufficient. Until then, your ex-spouse may be required to pay spousal support until you are able to achieve a standard of living comparable to that which you enjoyed while married, or equal to that which he or she has right now.

Say that you stopped going to school while your ex-spouse went on to earn his or her bachelor’s degree and establish a career. If the court determines that it would take you two years to return to school and earn a comparable degree, then another year to secure a job, it may require your ex-spouse to pay you support for that amount of time.

If, after the three years, you have still yet to find gainful employment, you may petition to have the duration of your award increased. Such a request may only be considered, however, after you have shown that you have done all you can to increase your earning capacity.

You can learn more about the various forms of alimony by continuing to explore our site. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

We Have Answers

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy