Runyon & Runyon
  • "This little note is to say thanks for all you have done for me. You worked so hard to prove that we told the truth. However it turns out, I know you did your best."
  • "Thank you and the Runyon team for everything that you all have done for my son. I truly appreciate it."
  • "Thank you Mrs. Browning for all of your help, and if you could pass my thanks on to Ray. Your team helped more than you know. If you ever need to reach me for anything further ill be here.Thank you again."
  • " I can’t put into words how grateful I am for all you have done for me. Thank you for listening and understanding what I was going through...”
  • " Thank you for taking care of everything for me in a professional manner. The staff is awesome also!”
  • " I wanted to thank you for your support. You are the best attorney in Clarksville. I could not have done it without you”
  • " Should I need legal service again you will be my only one to call. Thank you so much”
  • " Ray took time out of his busy schedule to fit us in at a time of crisis on several occasions”
Read More
Contact Us For An Appointment
toll free 800-568-1534
local 931-305-0061

Enforcing an alimony obligation through a wage garnishment

When you and your ex-spouse establish your alimony agreement in Clarksville, you may initially feel confident that he or she will fulfill that obligation. Many of those that we here at Runyon and Runyon work with may have had that same confidence, only to end up struggling financially due to months and months of unpaid spousal support. If that accurately describes that situation that you are currently in, you should know that you do have resources to help collect alimony arrears. One such resource is a wage garnishment.

A garnishment is an agreement made between the court and a garnishee (in this case, your ex-spouse’s employer) to withhold a certain portion of his or her earnings in order to meet a financial obligation. According to the United States Department of Labor, federal law allows for up to 50 percent of your ex-spouses wages to be garnished to meet alimony payments is he or she is currently supporting another spouse of child. If he or she has no other dependents, that amount may increase up to 60 percent. If he or she is more than 12 weeks delinquent on his or her payments, and additional 5 percent may also be added.

To initiate a wage garnishment, you provide the court with information regarding where your ex-spouse works. A levying officer of the court then serves his or her employer with a writ of garnishment. Given that the obligation for alimony has already been established as part of your divorce decree, the company may be viewed as having an obligation to meet the garnishment unless it shows your ex-spouse no longer works there or does not make enough to meet the arrears.

You can learn more techniques on how to enforce an alimony agreement by continuing to browse through our site. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

We Have Answers

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy