Runyon & Runyon
  • "This little note is to say thanks for all you have done for me. You worked so hard to prove that we told the truth. However it turns out, I know you did your best."
  • "Thank you and the Runyon team for everything that you all have done for my son. I truly appreciate it."
  • "Thank you Mrs. Browning for all of your help, and if you could pass my thanks on to Ray. Your team helped more than you know. If you ever need to reach me for anything further ill be here.Thank you again."
  • " I can’t put into words how grateful I am for all you have done for me. Thank you for listening and understanding what I was going through...”
  • " Thank you for taking care of everything for me in a professional manner. The staff is awesome also!”
  • " I wanted to thank you for your support. You are the best attorney in Clarksville. I could not have done it without you”
  • " Should I need legal service again you will be my only one to call. Thank you so much”
  • " Ray took time out of his busy schedule to fit us in at a time of crisis on several occasions”
Read More
Contact Us For An Appointment
toll free 800-568-1534
local 931-305-0061

I haven't paid child support: what's the worst that could happen?

Kids are expensive; there is no doubt about that. Whether they are in diapers, trying out for sports or studying for college, kids cost money at any age. In order to provide for children and make sure they have what they need to be safe, happy and healthy, parents need to pay. As difficult as this can be for any two parents to do, it can be especially difficult when parents are divorced and raising a child separately.

In these situations, both parents are still expected to support a child financially, which is why a noncustodial parent will be ordered to make child support payments. If you are the person ordered to pay and you do not comply with this order, you could end up paying for much more than your regular contributions.

In Tennessee, most parents will have their child support obligations automatically withheld from their paychecks. However, if you lose your job or somehow put a stop to wage withholdings and do not keep up with your child support payments, you can face a whole host of penalties.

According to Tennessee child support laws, orders for support can be enforced by:

  • Sequestering real estate profits
  • Withholding or suspending driver's license
  • Withholding or suspending professional licenses
  • Rerouting unemployment benefits to satisfy child support orders
  • Ordering delinquent parent to pay legal fees of the other parent
  • Intercepting tax refunds

There can also be more severe penalties, including jail time if a parent continues to ignore court orders to pay child support. 

It must be noted that failure to pay support is not just a failure to comply with court orders; it can also be considered an indication that you are as involved in providing for your child as you should be. This can be devastating for a child to learn and for another parent to come to terms with. It can ultimately jeopardize the relationship a delinquent parent has (or loses) with their child.

If you are concerned about unpaid child support, it can be critical that you address this matter sooner, rather than later, with an attorney so that you can hopefully keep it from getting worse. With legal guidance, you can seek a review of your support orders and potentially have them modified.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

We Have Answers

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy