Runyon & Runyon
  • "This little note is to say thanks for all you have done for me. You worked so hard to prove that we told the truth. However it turns out, I know you did your best."
  • "Thank you and the Runyon team for everything that you all have done for my son. I truly appreciate it."
  • "Thank you Mrs. Browning for all of your help, and if you could pass my thanks on to Ray. Your team helped more than you know. If you ever need to reach me for anything further ill be here.Thank you again."
  • " I can’t put into words how grateful I am for all you have done for me. Thank you for listening and understanding what I was going through...”
  • " Thank you for taking care of everything for me in a professional manner. The staff is awesome also!”
  • " I wanted to thank you for your support. You are the best attorney in Clarksville. I could not have done it without you”
  • " Should I need legal service again you will be my only one to call. Thank you so much”
  • " Ray took time out of his busy schedule to fit us in at a time of crisis on several occasions”
Read More
Contact Us For An Appointment
toll free 800-568-1534
local 931-305-0061

Establishing paternity in Tennessee

We often discuss child custody and visitation matters in the context of divorce cases. However, increasingly across the U.S. and throughout states like Tennessee, more and more children are being born out of marriage. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, today an estimated 41 percent of all U.S. babies are born to unmarried women.

In cases where a child's parents are not married, a father must take steps to establish legal paternity. Paternity may be established voluntarily by a father and mother or through a court order. Without establishing legal parentage rights, a father is not able to petition for child custody or visitation rights. Additionally, no action can be taken with regard to child support unless and until paternity is established.

If both a child's mother and father are in agreement about paternity, both parents must sign a form known as a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity which is then filed with the court. In cases where one parent disputes paternity, the matter must be decided by the state's Juvenile Court. To either qualify or disqualify paternity, DNA blood testing may be administered. Once paternity is established, a father may take action to gain child custody and visitation rights. Additionally, a mother may petition for child support.

Every child has the right to know and form a relationship with both biological parents. Additionally, every child has the right to receive financial assistance from both parents. Child custody matters are often highly emotional and can quickly grow contentious. It's wise, therefore, that both parents seek legal guidance and assistance when attempting to sort out matters related to paternity, physical and legal custody and visitation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

We Have Answers

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy